Sunday, June 5, 2016

Dev.D- Emosional Atyachar

Published by: Anurag Kashyap
Published on: Dec 01 2008 @ 11:49 am 

Years ago when i was writing Paanch, there was a moment when i thought that what if these guys are not a rock band but a brass band. I rejected the idea. The idea of a brass band is not original. I saw a film, much revered , rarely seen back in 1995. Om Darbadar by Kamal swarup.
Meri Jaan A..aaaaaaa Meri Jaan B..bbbbbbb
There is a sequence there, which i don’t remember exactly but a band is playing on the streets and the protagnist is walking through it. Song was in semi english and hindi. The singer was wearing glasses in the night. That visual, that moment stayed with me. I wanted to recreate it. Always. Watching the films of Emir Kusturica strengthened my resolve.
Opening scene from \"Underground\", by Emir Kusturica
The brass band sound is a very indian sound rarely used in the main stream.
I met Amit Trivedi through Shilpa Rao, the singer. I was shooting No Smoking at the time. I roughly told him what I wanted to do with Dev.D and gave him a situation. Eight months later when i met him he had not one but seven songs ready for me. All of them are in the film. He became the reason why Dev.D is a musical. His music inspired me to rewrite and rethink my film. One of those songs was “Pardesi”, and one of the lines in the song went, “Ib ke hovega re agge Yaar”. The first time I heard the song,”Agge Yaar” sounded like “atyachar”, and I loved it. On the second hearing I realised it wasn’t “atyachar” and I was disappointed. I told myself that I will tell him to change it to “atyachar”. But somehow the same song from Om Darbadar, flashed. The word “Emotional” occured to me. “Emotional Atyachar”, I knew it would catch on. Together they had great effect. I mentioned it to Amit. He liked it, but didn’t know initially what to do with it. I showed him the sequence from Om Darbadar. He went back, him and Amitabh , the lyricist got back with the rough version of the song. It rocked. We knew Amit had cracked something. The song was recorded.
Now came the part where we had to shoot it. We got a local band from Chandigarh. Harish Band. Made them part of the portion of the story that was to be shot in the village. Initially I wanted to shoot the song on Amit and Amitabh, but they were busy with Aamir. Then I turned to my associate director, Nitin and my assistant Vasan. I told them I am shooting the song on you. They agreed . I told Shubra , my costume designer the look i wanted, slightly vernacular Elvis presley. Vasan Came up with the name “Patna ke Presley” , I had another idea. I bounced it off first Ashish Shukla, he preferred Vasan’s name. Others too. We stayed with “patna ke presley”. A day before the shoot, Nitin developed cold feet. That too after the costume test. He thought he looked funny in the costume and no one will take him seriously after the song comes out. I was upset. I called Gautam, my casting director. I told him can you get me Nowazuddin on the first flight to Chandigarh. Nowazuddin is this extraordinary actor, who played Asghar Mukadam in Black Friday, the first guy who gets arrested. He flew in. By then Nitin was feeling horrible, he consented too. So we got them both as PKP and poor vasan became the trumpet player in the front. And we shot the song , in one night.
The true heroes of the song are the performers, Amit and Amitabh and Band Masters Rangila and Raseela who sung it. Entirely improvised.
A song that I, we and everybody at UTV loves and is proud of. This is the story behind it.

__________________________________________________________________________________

136 Responses to “Dev.D- Emosional Atyachar”

  1. rbehemoth on December 1st, 2008 12:07 pm
    Waiting eagerly for the music release (and the film as well)… Loved the trailer (more so due to the music). Though found the posters to be weird - in a negative sense (intentional?). And, the phrase ‘Emosional Atyachar’ is indeed ‘Rawking’ :).
  2. aman on December 1st, 2008 12:39 pm
    when is the music releasing? i have burnt myself watching the trailer over and over again.love the song even played it in a college program to full volume as my teacher made sit on audio.can’t stop singing it.the trailer almost gave the orgasmic feeling ,waiting eagerly for the movie to release.i hope it will be as good as no smoking,that is still under my skin.interesting to know about the story of the song.best of luck for the movie.
  3. J on December 1st, 2008 12:46 pm
    The song has a different feel. When i first heard it in the trailer on PFC, i felt it was kind of Rehman’s music. Like the song very much. Amit Trivedi is a talent to watch out for.
    P.S. Have sene Om Darbadar and had a discussion about the film in a seminar with Kamal Swarup. Liked the film for its undertones.
  4. OM on December 1st, 2008 1:06 pm
    oyye teri…apna Vasan is in the PKP song? ek do teeen chaar cheeeee…..
  5. Tushar on December 1st, 2008 1:42 pm
    Bring it on.
  6. kalki on December 1st, 2008 1:54 pm
    when is the music release?
    eagerly waiting for that
    the trailer rocks!
    whens the movie releasing?
    cant wait , really
  7. mainak on December 1st, 2008 4:23 pm
    I don’t know Nitin, but he needs stop taking himself seriously. :)
    Can we see the video somewhere?
  8. Sarang on December 1st, 2008 4:35 pm
    Anurag
    Your description of development of this song is very interesting. I shall look at it in a completely new way the next time… and I am sure I shall enjoy it as well…..
    I have a question for you.. when you picturize a scene in your head, how do you begin to write it.. I mean ‘What’ do you write? I am struggling to write some thoughts of mine on paper.. in my head I can see it on 70 mm… each and every thing so clearly but, when I look at a paper I am totally dumbfounded.. I lose all my thoughts… :D….
    Thanks.
  9. Abhijit on December 1st, 2008 5:38 pm
    I found this on youtube:
    “Om Dar Badar song”
    http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=9f_LOoVoaXM
    Is this the sequence that inspired EA?
  10. striker on December 1st, 2008 8:30 pm
    vasan looks HOWLARIOUS in the song.. also, for cinematographers out there.. wait until you see some of the rigs and techniques used in the film. you’re gonna drool.
  11. G.K.Desai on December 1st, 2008 8:40 pm
    @Abhijit
    I love this movie man OM DAR BA DAR,1988,the song taking reminds me of Emir Kusturica’s UNDERGROUND,1995 an outstanding film !!!
    GK
  12. triplesix on December 1st, 2008 8:50 pm
    The best part about “emosional atyachar”, which i already mentioned to u, is the way the music transcends from one to another…i haven’t really listened to the full-fledged track, only the promos..but the way it blends from the 60’s to the shadi band bajaa type ending it in it’s rock version- it’s amazing..simply amazing! i love it…
    Not just Amit Trivedi, even that girl who composed the stuff for OLLO, has done a great job..tracks like jugni,superchor and my fav raj dulaari..thankfully, music directors like Amit and Sneha are here to stay, hopefully, indefinitely… :)
  13. Anurag Kashyap on December 1st, 2008 8:59 pm
    666 they are two different songs put together for the promo.
    Akki- Main bhi yahi chahta hoon..par kya karein, hamara kaam hai try karte rahna, jab tak aap accept na kar lein
    Sarang, sit back ,it will come to you
  14. Anurag Kashyap on December 1st, 2008 9:02 pm
    Yes Abhijeet that is the song.. didn’t know it was on youtube.. wow. guys watch the link.
  15. triplesix on December 1st, 2008 9:05 pm
    oh..ok…i didn’t know that..
  16. rambo on December 1st, 2008 9:18 pm
    Anurag: what about rumours that ronnie screwvala is unhappy with the way dev d has turned out and tried to get sudhir mishra to rehash it? and if this is true what is the status now?
  17. Sid on December 1st, 2008 10:20 pm
    any chances of Om Darbadar coming out on DVD?
  18. nitin on December 1st, 2008 10:23 pm
    pretty cool song …this om dar ba dar one …if i am not wrong this is like the first movie i walked out off few yrs back not being able to understand shit…would like to watch it again and see if the film has got little wiser ..anyone has it???
  19. nik on December 1st, 2008 10:58 pm
    sounds like ar rahman music. good job by amitab, amit.
  20. KK on December 1st, 2008 11:13 pm
    I’d really like to see Paanch. It’s a shame that our censor people were idiots about it, is there any way to release the film straight to DVD? It isn’t fair that we get to lose out on watching a film that might be really good. Or even better, could the film mysteriously appear on the net the way Black Friday did prior to its official release?
  21. indy on December 1st, 2008 11:15 pm
    Anurag, love the way you write not necessarily how you make your movies. In ‘no smoking’ you left a lot for us to assume and however intelligent an audience we might be …we are there to see your version of the story and not to fill in the blanks.
    Also maybe after ‘black Friday’ our expectations went through the roof.
    I saw the trailers of Dev D while I had gone to watch OLLO(what a movie!..) am really excited about the movie…I totally agree with you devdas was Sharad Chandar’s worst ever. Albeit, Chandramukhi’s character really intrigues me..
    Waiting to see your version.
    I hate being addressed as a fan but for the want of a better word ….must confess have followed everything that you have written (at least all that is available to read) and it this didn’t start with black Friday, it was just some article of your’s I read somewhere about cinema.
    Hey, you must write more often, on more widely read media also. Like Mumbai mirror was fun.
  22. Vasanbala on December 1st, 2008 11:20 pm
    Nitin U Chainpuri is an excellent dancer……really smooth and he is all 80s….including a mastery over the “MOONWALK” …..all great performers have their quirks and if he had not developed cold feet there would have been a possibility that we might have missed Nawaz’s super act.
    Mainak, if Nitin had not taken himself seriously then Patna ke Presley would have been a bit too overweight to pull it off :)
    Nitin and Nawaz in fullon improv number choreographed by AK who himself can burn the dance floor with his moves(NO KIDDING)…..have comes up with a rocking brass band song (watch out for the rock version too…needless to add….it’s meant to rock and it rocks!!!)
  23. filthytrip on December 1st, 2008 11:37 pm
    HEY ANURAG…WHEN’S THE MUSIC REALEASE??
    BLOODY DESPERATE…(all of us)!
  24. KP on December 2nd, 2008 1:05 am
    What is Om Dar Badar?
    Some kind of band?
    Could not find anything on wiki
  25. Joyjeet on December 2nd, 2008 1:15 am
    Anurag, when is the movie expected to release? Rumours like what Rambo said are rife & they can be quite unsettling, you see.
  26. Rasik on December 2nd, 2008 1:34 am
    i don’t exactly remember wher but i had read that amit trivedi and his band do a certain kind of dance with their hand…i think i can see shades of it towards the end of the trailer…has that been used…just asking for curiosity’s sake…
  27. Dilip on December 2nd, 2008 3:06 am
    Hey any one please tell me when is the audio releasing. I want emotional atyachar to be my hello tune. My gf should hear it whenever she calls me. Its very apt. Sweet revenge.
  28. Sammy on December 2nd, 2008 3:33 am
    Rocking song sirjee..cant get it outta my head
  29. David Sandeep Robert on December 2nd, 2008 9:35 am
    AK i just loved the song…looking forward for the film…all the best.
  30. Ruchi on December 2nd, 2008 11:01 am
    Can’t wait, can’t wait!! :)
  31. ujjwal utkarsh on December 2nd, 2008 11:20 am
    seXy song i must say (at least the trailer bit),
    and my first reaction after that was om dar badar…
    awsome film it is… hats off to kamal for that…
    and here you have it… was wondering wether you had actually referred to it…
    wonder if you are familiar with the work of goran bergevic… he has done music for emir kausturica and all….
    anyway, waiting for the film eagerly…
    the trailer looks aweSOME!!!
  32. G.K.Desai on December 2nd, 2008 8:47 pm
    @Ujjwal
    Goran Bergevic did BORAT too for Larry Charles, below is his latest tour video enjoy !!!
    http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=vUW0262_SJI
    GK
  33. Anurag Kashyap on December 2nd, 2008 11:21 pm
    Rambo, Joyjeet- they are just that ,rumours. A planted story. The film is ready and will release after all the big monsters blockbusters leave screens for us to release. between Rab ne, Ghajini, Jumbo, Chandni Chowk, Billoo Barber and Luck by chance and Slumdog all screens are booked until January.
    Rumours don’t worry me. Everyone at UTV and outside who have seen the film love it.
  34. Gopi on December 3rd, 2008 12:05 am
    I hate it when newspapers publish ‘reportedly’ articles.
    Like, ‘reportedly slammed a table lamp across the lead actress’ crotch’.
    I say those guys are reportedly printing bullshit.
    Anyways, I am actually waiting for the music release. HUGE fan of Amit Trivedi - right from his ‘Om - The Fusion Band’ (if you haven’t listened to it, do it; it’s finger-snapping good).
    I think I will be forced to consider time travel if I start anticipating the movie release already.
  35. Joyjeet on December 3rd, 2008 3:12 am
    Hmmm, the unsettlingness in the stomach is slowly vanishing now :)
  36. Nina on December 3rd, 2008 4:49 am
    Really enjoyed reading what went on “behind the scenes” of this song. As much as I wanted to watch the film before, now it’s almost impossible to wait.
    As an Italian, I always associate brass bands with Fellini. It’s the sound of Nino Rota for me, what I grew up around and there is so much back and forth between Indian cinema and Italian cinema. It’s probably the reason I feel home when I watch a good Hindi film…
    It’s also a very Gypsy, melancholic sound, even when the music played is happy - as in a wedding setting - which is just brilliant as the setting of a song titled “Emotional Atyachar”!
    Oh, and Patna ke Presley?!?! Funny…
  37. Vinayak on December 3rd, 2008 5:32 am
    Really loved the trailer! Emosional Atyachar sounds great! The singer has really put his nose into it. Best of luck for the film!
    That Om Darbadar song reminded me of Classic Band baja song: Nazrein Mili Dil Dadka from Raja (1995) http://youtube.com/watch?v=GL-l37bu-Vk
    Listen to Om Darbadar song at 1:48 It’s the same tune.
  38. Subrat on December 3rd, 2008 9:02 am
    Vinayak @39: A certain Bobby Darin would take exception to your remark about that tune which figures at 1:48 in the Om Dar-Ba-Dar song and about the Nazrein Mili Dil Dhadka number. Indian Band Baja Parties have been using Bobby Darin’s Come September track for a long while having picked it up from 5-star hotel orchestras. You can hear the original 1961 track here
    http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb_xsOGMtiE
  39. Rahi Anil Barve on December 3rd, 2008 11:22 am
    anurag,dev d ke promo ka jo shuru ka hissa hain..(he and the gal in bus)tv our thtr dono jagah thik se samajh nahi ata..’emotional atyachar’ zindabaad.( khalid khush.ready made title mil gaya..)
  40. Movie fan on December 3rd, 2008 2:29 pm
    anaurag where else did u shoot the movie
    and who is that firangie girl who plays chanda:)
  41. Vinayak on December 3rd, 2008 8:39 pm
    Subrat,
    O! I saw that film recently on Tv and really liked it but I had missed the starting credits. Thanks for pointing out! And waisay that skooter baazi scene from Come September somehow reminded me of scooter baazi song from An Evening in Paris.
  42. Neeraj Ghaywan on December 4th, 2008 1:04 am
    To be honest, I didn’t know who Amit was. Two days ago I heard the Aamir song on MTV, Mahfuz one. Couldn’t get it off my head for two days and I just couldn’t kill the curiosity and I got the CD. OMFG, His music is just awesome!!! Haara and Mehfuz were uber cool!!! Thought I heard tones of “requiem for a dream” in Haara. Why was the music of Aamir not advertised heavily???? I had loved the movie and the BGM was in my subconscious for long. When I heard the jazz song with Mumbai ghetto background I knew this was going to be a killer movie (don’t ask me how I came to the conclusion with just the credits rolling in at the start. It was just a hunch). Aamir made me discover the music of Amit Trivedi and now I am dying to listen to Dev.D. Please release the music.. like NOW!!
    PS: what is the name of the Jazz song in the start of Aamir (Was it an Ella Fitzgerald number?)
  43. Kapil on December 4th, 2008 1:39 am
    Hi Anurag,
    Where can I watch or get the CD/Tape of Kamal Swarup’s “Om Darbadar”???
    -KM-
  44. Bharat Bhushan on December 4th, 2008 1:57 am
    It is really sad that Aamir’s music was not promoted well.But I am sure as time goes by and Amit Trivedi gets more popularity, Aamir’s songs will get due recognition.
  45. ktmrocks on December 4th, 2008 8:10 am
    Love the song, especially the heavy guitar riffs at the end. If the is movie is ready for release then where is the publicity man? I haven’t seen your promos in the telly and there is seriously no buzz outside PFC or the blogosphere. Don’t get me wrong though, I am a huge fan of your works.
  46. rakesh on December 5th, 2008 3:32 am
    seen your profile, i just came to know that you have written for quiet a crap films too. well your good work has certainly overshadowed them
  47. Movie fan on December 5th, 2008 7:48 pm
    ^^^ rakesh word crap and bollywood goes hand in hand
  48. asap on December 5th, 2008 10:07 pm
    anurag
    3 mistakes when u wer 21 ?
  49. asap on December 5th, 2008 10:15 pm
    oh also saw d trailer of dev d … real impressive…jst lik all d pcyche films of hollywood,,, wud njoy d emosnallllllllll …. atyacharrrrrr……..
  50. asap on December 5th, 2008 10:22 pm
    and i wud lik 2 thnk u fr educating ppl lik us …..to devlop an understandig of C I N E M A…evn i l mak 1 hell of a pcyche film…..THANKS TO ALL U ARTISTS… nd pls answer d first ques bcoz i m stuck.
  51. Anurag Kashyap on December 6th, 2008 12:59 am
    asap
    1.Tried acting in films. one rare telefilm called 44. Me and imtiaz ali were the two leads. The film and we were so bad we gave up acting.
    I don’t remember other mistakes.
  52. ashwin on December 6th, 2008 4:16 am
    @ Ak…
    read somehwhere that u r in Luck by chance ….is it true….and if yes is it a walk on part…
  53. anurag kashyap on December 6th, 2008 4:40 am
    yeah.. it’s just me playing the corrupt mainstream me.
  54. Floydopedia on December 6th, 2008 4:50 am
    I must say, Mr. Kashyap, this is the first time I’m posting a comment on anyone’s blog and that’s because I see that you reply to the comments personally and I really respect that. :-)
    That said, I think you REALLY should just release Paanch on DVD (or just send me a copy. I’ll pay shipping charges. :-D ) I’ve been waiting for that movie ever since I first saw it’s trailer “back in the day” when I was still in high school in India. Else, why not release it in select countries instead? Isn’t that possible? Put in a few subtitles and I’m sure people would love to watch the movie out here (in Canada). I’m sure if Bollywood starts releasing movies like Paanch, Aamir and Anwar (though I know it’s not one of yours) worldwide, instead of crap like Om Shanti Om and Baghban, only THEN will the world realize that Bollywood DOES have great potential and that not all people in India “run in slow motion towards a tree in the middle of an open field” or break into (miraculously) choreographed dances, all of a sudden, in the middle of the street(PATHETIC!).
    I’m surprised that when the whole world is trying to make movies based on books, in Bollywood, no one wants to do the same now (Correct me if I’m mistaken, but I don’t remember the last movie I saw that was based on a book.) And it’s not that we don’t have great books. (Isn’t The God of Small Things a good enough book?)
    I appreciate what you’re trying and I really like most of your movies (I don’t wanna flatter you and go ahead and say that I like ALL of them. Even God makes mistakes ;-) ) I think Paanch would make a better “rock band” movie than any other that have come out of Bollywood (Oh please! Rock On sucked! It was as much about a rock band as Dil Chahta Hai was about older woman-younger man love i.e. just a side story to show a man’s struggle with his wants and other’s expectations from him). And seriously, I think any level-headed would agree with me when I say that 9 remakes of Devdas are a li’l too much with no changes to the story (And no! An overacting SRK and a trying-really-hard-to-repeat-her-HDDCS-act Aishwarya Rai DO NOT make it any better!). I guess most Indian youth would relate to your movie more. (Let’s face it. 30 years make a lotta difference. 90% of today’s youth would laugh at Mithunda’s grooves from Disco Dancer, which was a superhit for the previous generation. Don’t get me wrong. I have immense respect for Mithunda and his acting, and I’m not talking about his recent roles alone. But, as I said, times do change.)
    I’m really looking forward to Dev D, though I probably have to make do with cam prints online or on pirated CDs. (I’m sorry, I can’t wait for the DVDs to release in India and then ask someone to ship them over here. A year is waaaaaay too long a wait for a movie). You really should release some of your movies in Canada (even one screen in Toronto and Vancouver for a fortnight is good enough).
    The best part of your movies is the soundtracks. As an avid rock fan, Paanch is like a dream come true and “Emossanal Atyachaar” is well, ummm, let’s say the trailer is usually on an infinite cycle on my youtube playlist, both at home and work, and my sister is ready to kill me for humming it all day long. :-)
    I do hope you release the movie here and I have the opportunity to watch some of your work on the big screen :-)
    Lemme finish off this (monstrously long) post by quoting one of my all time favorite songs, Pink Floyd’s Shine On You Crazy Diamond:
    “Come on you raver, you seer of visions, come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner, and shine!”
    (Yes! You do fit the above description :-) )
  55. vikas on December 6th, 2008 5:15 am
    I Know anurag ur online, when is the audio of Dev D releasing ??
    Is there a place where have explained the movie “No Smoking”. I have seeen the movie thrice but still havent able to understand the movie now and that is wat is intriguing.
  56. PJ on December 6th, 2008 5:34 am
    Am just leaving office for Ohh My God.
    Guys, do watch ‘Dil Kabbaddi’. Brilliantly written. The writer’s wife is going to divorce him in a few days… ;)
    Really Brilliant!
  57. PJ on December 6th, 2008 5:36 am
    AK, do put in your views for that movie too…
    Unfair hoga nahi to…
  58. Nina on December 6th, 2008 6:11 am
    And aren’t you in Tera Kya Hoga Johnny?
  59. anurag kashyap on December 6th, 2008 6:21 am
    yes nina..
  60. Amit on December 6th, 2008 6:47 am
    Anurag, Somehow I feel that Lyrics of emosional atyachar are subliminal.
    “Ek Do teen chaar…. che… (whatever happened to Paanch)
    Yeh dil pighla ke saaz bana loon,
    ‘dhadkan ko awaaz banaa loon,
    Smoking Smoking nikle re dhuaan,(Inspite of making such a wonderful film, reception and reviews were so bad, it acutally smoked out - No Smoking)
    Sine mein jalti hai armaanon ki arthi
    What to tell u darling kya hua”(Need not explain this), Am I atleast 1 percent correct? Maafi dei deo if i m wrong… Where can I get to see Paanch(1 thing i wanna do b4 i die)… What can i do to control my urge to work with you?
  61. Anurag Kashyap on December 6th, 2008 8:55 am
    Floydopedia.. nice name.. for the umpteenth time there is hope that Paanch would release by mid next year..
    And thanks for all the compliments.. I take them .. ha ha
  62. Anurag Kashyap on December 6th, 2008 8:57 am
    Amit.. hmmmm nice interpretation.. it probably fits but wasn’t the intention as I did not write the song.. will ask amitabh for sure if that’s what he intended.. I guess it’s the reputation of no smoking carrying on..
  63. ashwin on December 6th, 2008 9:16 am
    haha….the corrupt mainstream you…..thats far fetched from u…….
    and finally atleast some word on Paanch’s release…hope it does release…..ill watch it twice just to wash away the sins of watching Black Friday on a pirated disk and plagiarizing it in a college presentation.
  64. ashwin on December 6th, 2008 9:17 am
    and thanx for sharing that meri jaan A..aaaaa….
    its a classic in every sense…..
  65. ZeroSummer on December 6th, 2008 10:54 am
    Anurag:
    Out of topic…. par Oye Lucky ne hila diya Boss. I don’t think I have seen a more accurate depiction of Delhi in my life. It wasn’t just the narrative, it was the details. I felt like I did after I came out of Shool, that I had seen something that I know from my life on the screen. The characters, the art design, the locations, the dialect… the entire mise-en-scene.
    Reminded me of everything from Pyasa to Goodfellas. Just wanted to know what you thought of it? Particularly the film making (slow mo, sound design etc.)Also what do you think of film being promoted and called a comedy?
    p.s. he beat you to the punch on the brass band thing. Trailer of Dev D. looks great. Can’t wait.
  66. Anurag Kashyap on December 6th, 2008 6:39 pm
    Zerosummer-Oye lucky is so far the best film of the year for me and i completely agree with what you say..
  67. asap on December 6th, 2008 10:53 pm
    ok i m embaraased but … i hav to ask these… ques.. ..if u cud ans…i hav been an acting student nd i plan to write scripts but at the same hand i have a film school fr which u r e guest member …i m talking abt (saimc)….now i m asking this bcoz i know u hav d writ conscious to ask for….now this has got nothing to do wit dev d………………bt . ifeel it rit to ask u fr.. nw do i cum to mumbai nd start selling ma scripts or do i go fr the film school ..STATUS—-FCKD MY ASS IN 10 BPO S…. nd still calling ….. age 21….nd i mfolding my hands so that u may answer this …..no no.. i m not phschye…..but i need to get a clarity ..pls if its possible frm ur sid …i thought u cud ask for certain things on this democratic website….request
  68. ricky on December 7th, 2008 3:15 am
    anurag,
    when will you post the continued series of satya - the true story? hope yoe remember…loved part 1 & 2…waiting for the remaining series…
  69. sharath on December 7th, 2008 3:51 am
    Anurag,
    I am a huge fan of Vishal Bharadwaj and since you seems to have the ability to bring best out of him
    I sort of felt that u two will become like Gulzar-RD Burman team creating great music as well as great films.Is there any probabilty that I will get to listen to Anurag Kashyap-Gulzar-Vishal Bharadwaj music score?
  70. Anurag Kashyap on December 7th, 2008 3:58 am
    Sharath No Smoking was Gulzar-Vishal and me in that order.. and Vishal Bharadwaj is great regardless of me.. He is still one of the most sensitive filmmakers we have and the best script-dialogue writer atleast in the hindi film industry if not the country today.. Infact i think music is his third biggest strength..after writing and direction..
  71. Anurag Kashyap on December 7th, 2008 3:59 am
    Ricky somehow I came out of that state of mind when i was writing that post.. hopefully one day i will complete it..apologies
  72. sharath on December 7th, 2008 4:09 am
    Anurag,
    I know about ‘no smoking’.I meant any future films with Vishal Bharadwaj?
  73. Anurag Kashyap on December 7th, 2008 4:14 am
    not for now.. may be in the future when oppurtunity arises.. now i m just looking forward to his Kaminey and Ishquiyan ..second one he is producing which his erstwhile associate is directing..
  74. Shekhar Shimpi on December 7th, 2008 4:33 am
    any progress in ‘DOGA’?
    concept art or something?
  75. Floydopedia on December 7th, 2008 4:42 am
    Thanks for the compliment about my (nick)name, Mr. Kashyap. I take it too :-P As for Paanch releasing mid next year, as I said earlier, you still won’t release it in Canada!! :-( And so, I have to say “Long live cam prints online or pirated CDs” *sigh* Isn’t there something we could do about THAT???
  76. Floydopedia on December 7th, 2008 4:51 am
    One more thing.I have no idea about “DOGA” but that just reminded me of one more thing. Why is it that we have NO Indian superhero movies? (And I’m not talking about Krrish who was merely a combo of Tom Hank’s Big, ET and Spiderman(?) OR Drona) I’m talking about Indian comic book heroes. Here’s a blog post that explains a lot about them : http://axeandhisx.blogspot.com/2008/03/indian-superheroes-1.html and http://axeandhisx.blogspot.com/2008/03/indian-superheroes-2.html Can I expect anyone of these coming to life in the future in a non-plagiarized-from-Hollywood way?
  77. Anurag Kashyap on December 7th, 2008 5:07 am
    Doga is Raj comics.. but there is still time before we do it.. After Bombay Velvet.. The script of both are being worked upon by the writers..
  78. Anurag Kashyap on December 7th, 2008 5:09 am
    shekhar you want to work on the concept arts , story boards?
    right now we are working on the script.. still six months before we lock that.
  79. ashwin on December 7th, 2008 5:18 am
    @ ak…
    there’s this guy called trilok in Yuva who plays devgan’s friend. he looks quite similar to u….is he ur brother?
  80. Floydopedia on December 7th, 2008 5:29 am
    AWESOME!! @ Doga the Raj Comics hero. I was hoping someone would work on THAT!! Great!! I feel like a happy puppy all of a sudden. :-P
  81. Anurag Kashyap on December 7th, 2008 5:33 am
    that is my brother..
  82. Ajay Kumar Saxena on December 7th, 2008 6:01 am
    Hi Anurag,
    jus read your comment no 83 and found out that you are working on your next script.
    Any chance if i cud get a chance to work with you and your team on concept idea/storyboard, that will be a dream come true … to work wid ya.
    I am an IIT grad and recently came down mumbai to learn craft of film-making. I believe i have good ability of visuvalization and hv basic understanding of scriptwriting, camera etc and abvoe than that a zeal , an enthusiasm , a passion for cinema……
    Hope to see a muse from you .. my id is ajaykumar.saxena@gmail.com
    I am keeping my fingers crossed.
  83. Sammy on December 7th, 2008 7:15 am
    @comment 62
    Damn good interpretation buddy….i think this wud be the most relatable version of Devdas rather than the older ones…Actress who plays Paroo seems really good..Just waiting for the release
  84. Shekhar Shimpi on December 7th, 2008 8:35 am
    @Anurag
    I would love to do designs for “Doga” !!!
    (The Dark Superhero)
    Storyboards, Concept Art, Poster Design,
    Let me know,,.
  85. ashwin on December 7th, 2008 9:36 am
    ok….so i guessed it right…but then it wasnt a difficult guess….he has the same eyes as you……
    btw if im not wrong he wrote Manorama……one helluva film……the best of 2007 according to me..
  86. asap on December 7th, 2008 8:44 pm
    @ anurag
    y doga ther r so many characters for raj comics ……nagraj , bhokal ,dhruv …..?
  87. Amit on December 8th, 2008 1:21 am
    Thanks Anurag for ur reply @62… Nice to hear about Paanch from the man himself, will be the first one to bump onto the ticket window.. Coming back to Dev.D Till now we’ve seen Dev, Paro and Chanda,, can we have sumthin on Chunnilal? Hoping for a dark rendition of this guy… What say Anurag?
  88. sonu on December 9th, 2008 2:36 am
    hello anurag sir,
    PL TELL ME THAT IS IT POSIBBLE TO ASK FOR WORK ON PFC AND GET ACCEPTED BY A DIRECTOR LIKE YOU.PL ALSO QUOTE WHAT TO TAKE CARE BEFORE ASKING FOR A BREAK AS ASSISTANT DIRECTOR…….IT WOULD BE GREAT IF YOU DROP A MAIL ON yaddain724@rediffmail.com…..as far as my details are concerned ….in short i left everything for my passion and coming to mumbai next week and there is one story with me…CHIDIYA KUI ANKH OR ARJUN.PL HELP IF POSSIBLE (I CAN QUOTE HERE THAT WHAT KIND OF EDUCATION AND WROK EXP IO HAVE BUT I WANT TO LEARN AND I JUST FROMAT MY MIND TO GET FRESH AND RIGHT DETAILS….)
  89. deven on December 9th, 2008 3:00 am
    @sonu
    as far as i know, pfc is not a job forum. naukri.com or monster.com would be more apt for that.
    pfc is a place where directors write about their filmmaking experiences, their likes and dislikes. in my opinion it is not proper to ask for work here. for that you can buy a trade mag like Film India, get the director’s contact details and then contact him. why test his graciousness in public? Not done.
  90. sonu on December 9th, 2008 4:00 am
    hay tnx a ton deven ……..but i wish my query is being answered by whom i adress it……
    naukri & monster have no buisness to do with entertainment yaar…..and one more thing PFC is not only for Directors bhai…..
    but ya tnx to quote a name like Film india…pl add more resources.
  91. psychoactive on December 12th, 2008 3:18 am
    Hey ! i am a film maker myself ! 1200 mics to your dev D, anurag! kill it !
  92. shil on December 12th, 2008 3:29 am
    anurag, i’ve watched 2 films (black friday, no smoking) & a trailer (Dev.D)of urs. It’s payback time now. It’s a no-budget cum handycam production at the moment but i’m writing stuff in my laptop for future.
    Here’re the links: PART I http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0PA-a1VHxQ
    PART II
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJawrQZGbDI
  93. Neeraj on December 12th, 2008 10:55 am
    Aree anurag sir , paanch ke baare mein kuch bata do….uss pichur ko seedha dvd pe release kar do , would it be feasible? itne log pooch rahe ho…humari aawaz suno :D
  94. Leo23 on December 12th, 2008 4:40 pm
    um..AK, you never once mentioned this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFfyJW1qas4
    Please do explain how this served as an inspiration. Nevertheless, EA seems better than the original. Of course, I haven’t listened to the whole song, so I can’t be decided on whether EA should be termed as inspired or lifted…
  95. Abhisek Pandey on December 15th, 2008 5:03 pm
    Hi Anurag,
    First, I am in joy after I saw the name “Bombay Velvet” in ur reply! You really making this movie on the lines of Blue Velvet or what!! My God!! That will be real great. Write something on this.
    Second, emotional atyachar is rocking in promo vidoes. You are such an opportunistic to cast Abhay Deol at just the right time. Can’t wait to watch this. Abhay is the next Nasiruddin Shah of the industry, though pretty much incomparable with anyone.
    And, and…. I wish and hope that Doga will be the finest superhero movie of india, he is anyway one of the best superhero of Indian comics.. Darkness is the first thing which should appear in a heroic movie, infact that should be the second important character..memories will be relived on Mumbai’s dark streets. Amen!
  96. anurag Kashyap on December 17th, 2008 9:29 am
    Leo checked the link.. didn’t get it.. how is that related to EA.. either I m deaf or you are.. pl explain
  97. G.K.Desai on December 17th, 2008 9:57 am
    @AK
    I think this Leo is “one” of the guys in that band,he just wanted you to notice him !!!
    GK
  98. Pratik on December 17th, 2008 11:08 am
    Has anybody else seen this blog: http://emotionalatyachar.mediacurry.tv/. It seems to have posters of Dev D which I have not seen anywhere else on the Net. And is that really AK’s Dev D blog?
  99. Tanul Thakur on December 17th, 2008 11:27 am
    Inetresting! Is it really Anurag’s blog?
  100. Pratik on December 17th, 2008 11:34 am
    I was thinking it was probably setup by UTV to promote Dev D. I just wish they would release the music already. Kitni baar 2-min ka trailer sunta rahunga yaar??
  101. Anand Kadam on December 17th, 2008 12:01 pm
    seriously kitni baar trailer sunta rahunga .. :)when is the music releasing….. ? its about time now since the movie is releasing on 9th Jan ..which is what 3 weeks away…
  102. Pratik on December 17th, 2008 12:26 pm
    This article (http://www.businessofcinema.com/news.php?newsid=11092) says that the release date of Dev D has been pushed to February 6. Lekin phir bhi, music toh release karna chaahiye. Yeh toh atyachar hai, emosional waala.
  103. OM on December 17th, 2008 12:34 pm
    Superb posters in that blog..loved Chunni and Dev’s..for some reason, the poster of Dev intrigued me…a vodka bottle with Dev written on it with arrow pointint downwards..probably trying to say he thinks from his dick and not head..mebbe..but awesome posters..chunni’s too is very good..who is playing chunni? Vijay Maurya?
  104. Sethumadhavan on December 17th, 2008 12:41 pm
    yup the release date as of now is Feb 6th
  105. Pratik on December 17th, 2008 12:49 pm
    The actor playing Chunni is Dibyendu Bhattacharya, the guy who played Yeda Yaqub in Black Friday. He was also in Monsoon Wedding and Hulla (a few others too, I just cannot recall). Love the posters on that blog. That Dev poster should have been publicized more, along with the poster they already have.
  106. anurag Kashyap on December 17th, 2008 7:42 pm
  107. G.K.Desai on December 17th, 2008 9:38 pm
    @AK
    Awesome website,the Hindi Lustline is mindlowing,heard it more than 30 times ,tooooooo gooooooooooood !!!!
    GK
  108. lost on December 19th, 2008 9:58 am
    i hav seen most of your films and paanch
    made the most sense 2 me.it was worth braving
    the ‘door break’ scene at cinefan.
  109. Abhishek on December 20th, 2008 12:25 am
    Hi Anurag,
    Watched the promos and seems to be damn interesting movie. “Emosional atyachaar” bhi mast hai, jhakaas.
    I visited the official site of the movie, may I give some advise? Assuming “yes”, please do not put a lot of unnecessary animation on the webpages, they make it damn slow. When I am having one of the latest pcs and with a great net connection, it still takes time. And makes it annoying rather than being informative. For example, google is one of the highly accessesed and yet very simple website. Ask you website designer to make it informative and easily accessible. At least a couple of front pages should load with the eye blink and then you can put anything you want. What I like in the website is the french/english/hindi/tamil versions of a particular link. Great idea.
    Wish you good luck for the project.
  110. Amit on December 21st, 2008 2:03 am
    Imagine, If Dev D releases on 14th Feb instead of 6th Feb and UTV decides to give away free tickets to 100 couples through a lucky dip, then what will it be called???
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    Promotional Atyachar! [:D]
  111. Vineet on December 21st, 2008 3:18 am
    where are the promos on the TV boss ??
  112. Sethumadhavan on December 21st, 2008 4:43 am
    @ Vineet
    The promos on TV have started.I’ve seen the same today.
  113. Anurag Kashyap on December 22nd, 2008 8:42 am
    amit .. that was funny as hell.. don’t mind if i use the joke..
  114. Leo23 on December 22nd, 2008 8:54 pm
    @ AK (Comment #98): If I must be specific here, refer to 0:40 onwards in that video.
    The link once again, to make sure we’re on the same page here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFfyJW1qas4
    With all due respect, its obvious none of us seems deaf, neither literally (take my word for this and I’ll take yours) nor figuratively (after that reply of yours).
    And to make the connection clearer, kindly bother to go through the comments on that vid and the DevD trailer on the UTV channel itself.
    Hopefully, I’m not coming across as if I hate you :) ‘Coz I don’t. Again, take my word for it!
    @GK (Comment #99): w.e.
  115. Vivek on December 22nd, 2008 10:10 pm
    Hi AK,
    When’s the music comin out????????????
    The website is amazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzinnnnnn :D
  116. Abhi on December 22nd, 2008 10:36 pm
    anurag….was “Requim for a dream” an inspiration for this movie???
  117. Prasanth on December 23rd, 2008 5:09 am
    Hey anurag
    Why are you not answering to any queries regarding the music release. Please tell us when the music will be released.
  118. Sethumadhavan on December 23rd, 2008 5:23 am
    @ Prasanth
    Anurag has already mentioned that the audio release will happen on Jan 10th.
  119. Mayank on December 24th, 2008 2:46 am
    The picture movement so much looks similar to Darren Afronsky’s movies Requiem for a dream and Pi.
    Emotional Atyachar is just kickass.I lovvvvvvvvvvvvve it to the core
    Though,Mayank is a Huge Fan of Black Friday.Keep up the good work Anurag.
    Later…
  120. Anurag Kashyap on December 24th, 2008 5:20 am
    abhi.. no requim has nothing to do with this.. and the body rig shot that reminds you all of that movie, was first used by scorcese in mean streets and then in lock stock and two smoking barrels..
  121. Anurag Kashyap on December 24th, 2008 5:23 am
    the inspiration is still devdas. don’t go in expecting requiem. you will be disappointed.. shots don’t make a film.
  122. krishna on December 24th, 2008 6:16 am
    @Anurag Kashyap
    Who are those 2 guys(Patna ke Parsley’s) .. i feel that i have seen them before
  123. Amit on December 25th, 2008 12:48 am
    @115, Use use, I have no mind… [:)]
  124. Amit on December 25th, 2008 1:03 am
    “Shots don’t make a film” that’s an obvious but important thing to remember as a viewer as well….
  125. Dhruv on December 27th, 2008 2:00 am
    I just loved the trailer n E-m-o-s-n-a-l Atyachar ! Anurag when is the music releasing ??
  126. Dhruv on December 27th, 2008 9:53 am
    Anurag I liked the emotional atyachar rock version appearing at the end of the trailer,i hope it is on the cd n pls release it soon
  127. AZAD on December 28th, 2008 10:29 pm
    Boss, when is the music releasing?? I haven’t seen in stores yet..
  128. shamoni8 on January 3rd, 2009 3:31 am
    dude, i don’t know about the movie or how its gonna do, but this song will be remembered for years. by college kids of this generation, and kids of my generations, the lower 20’s dudes, living the best times of our lives.
    we’ll look back at this song and rock out even when we got kids and are balding… this song will be part of our culture
  129. rohit on January 6th, 2009 1:30 am
    dude
    i cant get over ranjhana….you have got to give a pat on Amit and shilpa’s back for this one…
    Dev D is eagerly awaited
  130. rohit on January 6th, 2009 1:31 am
    and who came up with patna ke presley? got to be you!
  131. Nikhil on January 7th, 2009 4:29 am
    To you Rohit
    Patna ke presley was Vassan’s idea.
    Hey Anurag thanks for this one and every other blogs of yours and the reason is obvious. Thnx! Keep it up
  132. Bhuvan Mehta on January 8th, 2009 2:54 am
    Today is the B’Day of “The King of Rock ‘n’ Roll” Elvis Presley,
    Let’s everybody (including “Patna Ke Presleys” :))
    remember gr8 singer/actor on this occasion filled
    up with strong “इमोशन्स” ;) [Emotions]
  133. Aroon on January 8th, 2009 11:32 pm
    Hey Anurag,
    Can we have a small interview or so from Amit trivedi.. Would love to know wt thinking went from his side for the songs of the film.. The music is simply brilliant..
  134. paraag on January 16th, 2009 4:14 am
    hey…. music is completely addddicctive!! really long time since we heard some hattke music. nayan tarse, duniya and emosanal attyachar rock version are my favorites!!! Rock on Amit trivedi saab!! :)
  135. Arvind Desai on January 16th, 2009 5:16 am
    The song sounds like it’s copied from Metal VS Dugem — http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFfyJW1qas4
  136. Kamayani on January 21st, 2009 3:47 am
    Hi Anurag
    It was nice bumping into you after a long time while you watched Australia at PVR a few days back
    One of my friends got inspired by EA and has written on his blog , thought i would share it
    http://pdponder.blogspot.com/2009/01/emotional-atyaachar.html
    and my caller tune is EA :-)
    awaiting for the film very eagerly
    cheers !!
    Kamayani



3 comments:

  1. Really Interesting to read your journey A(K).I was recently rediscovering Indian Cinema and some of notable movies have been Lagaan,Thank you for smoking, Aruvi, Madras, Nan Kadaval, Black Friday,Byomkesh Bakshi & Haider.I like how a lot of filmmakers with the likes of AK,Dipakar B, Vishal BHaradawaj & V motwane .There is a lot of emphasis on Writing and getting a tight script which is interesting. I would like to know more Name like pather panchali etc for me to explore. Appreciate your time. You guys are definitely taking Indian 'Cinema'(Not Bollywood :)) in the right direction. Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Willing to read Gangs of Wasseypur's journey. Kindly update

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need this hellotune soooooo badly.

    Emosonal Attyachar brass band version.

    Please help.

    ReplyDelete